Media: DW jesse Smith Mint 12 review
Mike Easter
2011-12-19 18:13:40 UTC
DistroWatch's Feature Story is a very nice review by Jesse Smith who is
an experienced general distro user/reviewer and specifically lots of
Mint versions.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111219#feature
A dozen mints (a review of Linux Mint 12) ... The developers have not
only taken Ubuntu and made it more attractive to end users, but they've
also greatly improved on GNOME Shell. The extensions and customized
design give the shell all the benefits of running GNOME 3 with all of
the options and abilities of GNOME 2. Additionally, users are able to
seamlessly switch over to MATE for an authentic GNOME 2 experience.

In addition to JS's review, there are lots of comments following the
article.
Mike Easter
Wond
2011-12-20 16:14:00 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
DistroWatch's Feature Story is a very nice review by Jesse Smith who is
an experienced general distro user/reviewer and specifically lots of
Mint versions.
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111219#feature A dozen mints
Thanks for the link...any particular reason for upgrading to 12?
I've been happily using Mint 10. Tried 11 on a laptop, but could never
get it to update due to errors, so put 10 on that as well. If 12 is just
the desktop and file system options, why bother?
Mike Easter
2011-12-20 16:26:04 UTC
Post by Wond
Post by Mike Easter
DistroWatch's Feature Story is a very nice review by Jesse Smith who is
an experienced general distro user/reviewer and specifically lots of
Mint versions.
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111219#feature A dozen mints
Thanks for the link...any particular reason for upgrading to 12?
I've been happily using Mint 10. Tried 11 on a laptop, but could never
get it to update due to errors, so put 10 on that as well. If 12 is just
the desktop and file system options, why bother?
To give you an idea of my distro hopping and distro testing and how that
relates to Mint, in the past I have burned a lot of linux CDs for
booting and in the present I do the same thing with flash drives. For a
long time my main system was Mint7, long after it quit doing any updating.

At the present, my main system is Mint11. I have booted up to
investigate Mint12 just like I have booted up Ub11.10 and I certainly
liked Mint12 better than the Ub.

I think the decision to stick with a particular v. or to 'advance' to
the newer one is very complex and based on personal issues, some of them
seemingly small and unimportant in isolation.

I don't know why you had a problem with 11, it is working fine for me.
In my case, when 11 came along it was way past time for me to move up
from Mint7.
Mike Easter
Bob Henson
2011-12-20 18:42:43 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Wond
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
I've settled on Mint Debian for my laptop, but I try all the Mint distros
(and a couple of others) as they come out, using VirtualBox under Windows
7. I got as far as trying 12, decided first impressions couldn't be right,
and so I persevered for some time before deciding first impressions *were*
right, and abandoning it for good. I've gone back to Mint 9 as the last
decent Ubuntu based version - at least it's the "long support" version.

It would seem that despite my poking fun from time to time at the Linux
Luddites who deprecated anything with a modern GUI that was easy to use,
that they may have a point after all. I'm still trying to convince myself
the Mint Debian is actually better than the "official" Debian Stable. It
is, but only because I like the menu etc. on the bottom bar, and I haven't
found out how to move it down under plain Debian - yet.
--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Why is there only one Competition Commission?
Mike Easter
2011-12-20 19:45:36 UTC
Post by Bob Henson
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
I'm not good at that kind of tweaking, but if I wanted to do it, the way
I would go about it would be:

- post the setup and the question in the ub usenet group
alt.os.linux.ubuntu and you might get a quick and direct answer
- if the a.o.l.u query doesn't get a response you like, then take your
query over to the ub forum http://ubuntuforums.org/
- my experience has been that there are a lot more eyeballs at the ub
web forum than other places such as Mint or Debian related places
- then if I get an answer from the ub webforum that I didn't get in
the newsgroup, I come back to the newsgroup and post an answer to my own
question. I like for newsgroups to contain answers, even when
googlegroups doesn't archive those answers like aolu's.
Mike Easter
Cybe R. Wizard
2011-12-20 20:05:14 UTC
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:45:36 -0800
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Bob Henson
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
I'd also suggest:
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-***@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings, subscribe or unsubscribe at:

You'll need to subscribe but, in my opinion, there's better and more
help there than in the (almost useless) newsgroup and it is easier to
navigate than the forums (where you also need to subscribe, IIANM).

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.
Adam Sutler
Mike Easter
2011-12-20 21:58:09 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Mike Easter
Post by Mike Easter
I like for newsgroups to contain answers,
ubuntu-users mailing list
You'll need to subscribe but, in my opinion, there's better and more
help there than in the (almost useless) newsgroup and it is easier to
navigate than the forums (where you also need to subscribe, IIANM).
I like newsgroups but I don't like mailing lists so much.

You can get the ubuntu-user mailing list nntp at/from gmane:

gmane.linux.ubuntu.user at news.gmane.org research how at
http://gmane.org/post.php

There are some specifics about how gmane works differently than other
news servers that one should be familiar with, such as having a valid
From and how the prevention of spam is handled.

It seems that I recall someone creating some 'beginner' type
instructions for using gmane that I can dig up if anyone is interested
in both gmane and is confused by the info available at the website.
Mike Easter
Cybe R. Wizard
2011-12-21 06:57:42 UTC
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:58:09 -0800
Post by Mike Easter
I like newsgroups but I don't like mailing lists so much.
They can be good when they are uncontrolled, much as Usenet. The Ubu
group, though, is going through some growing pains that will likely
kill it for usefulness soon.
Post by Mike Easter
gmane.linux.ubuntu.user at news.gmane.org research how at
http://gmane.org/post.php
There are some specifics about how gmane works differently than other
news servers that one should be familiar with, such as having a valid
From and how the prevention of spam is handled.
It seems that I recall someone creating some 'beginner' type
instructions for using gmane that I can dig up if anyone is
interested in both gmane and is confused by the info available at the
website.
If I recall, that was NoOp and he gave a pretty good instruction set.
Was it here or on a.o.l.u, though?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.
Adam Sutler
Chester A. Arthur
2011-12-20 20:31:19 UTC
Post by Wond
Thanks for the link...any particular reason for upgrading to 12?
I've been happily using Mint 10.
I'm sticking with Mint 10 for now. It's my understanding it's based on
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The next version of Mint should be based on Ubuntu
12.04, also LTS. The Long Term Support versions are IMHO the most stable.
Alias
2011-12-21 00:59:11 UTC
Post by Chester A. Arthur
Post by Wond
Thanks for the link...any particular reason for upgrading to 12?
I've been happily using Mint 10.
I'm sticking with Mint 10 for now. It's my understanding it's based on
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The next version of Mint should be based on Ubuntu
12.04, also LTS. The Long Term Support versions are IMHO the most stable.
10 is not the LTS version. 9 is. See
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
--
Alias