Adding new disk to existing system
Add Reply
RobH
2024-04-22 16:13:53 UTC
I want to add a 250Gb ssd to my existing 120gb ssd, so that I can move
all my data files from the 120gb disk to the 250gb disk.

I have added it to my /etc/fstab file , and is mounted without errors.

So can I now just move my existing folders on the 120gb disk to the
250gb disk, or is there a special or proper way to do this.

Thanks
Big Al
2024-04-22 16:20:41 UTC
I want to add a 250Gb ssd to my existing 120gb ssd, so that I can move all my data files from the
120gb disk to the 250gb disk.
I have added it to my /etc/fstab file , and is mounted without errors.
So can I now just move my existing folders on the 120gb disk to the 250gb disk, or is there a
special or proper way to do this.
Thanks
If it's formatted ext4, I can't see how you'd have any issues with it.

I've got a 2nd drive formatted in ext4 and have moved a lot of my older less used files there.
Bulky items and historical stuff. It's a spinner.

I would say use whatever is your preferred way to transfer files around. I just use nemo and my
routine backup scripts. I have a bookmark in Nemo also for a folder I routinely use that is on
that disk and have no issues with it mounted at boot and Nemo seeing it.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-105-generic
Al
RobH
2024-04-22 16:37:32 UTC
Post by Big Al
Post by RobH
I want to add a 250Gb ssd to my existing 120gb ssd, so that I can move
all my data files from the 120gb disk to the 250gb disk.
I have added it to my /etc/fstab file , and is mounted without errors.
So can I now just move my existing folders on the 120gb disk to the
250gb disk, or is there a special or proper way to do this.
Thanks
If it's formatted ext4, I can't see how you'd have any issues with it.
I've got a 2nd drive formatted in ext4 and have moved a lot of my older
less used files there. Bulky items and historical stuff.   It's a spinner.
I would say use whatever is your preferred way to transfer files
around.  I just use nemo and my routine backup scripts.   I have a
bookmark in Nemo also for a folder I routinely use that is on that disk
and have no issues with it mounted at boot and Nemo seeing it.
I have my /home on sda5, a 120gb disk , and the 250gb disk is sdb1.
In the /etc/fstab file I have this for the 250gb disk:

UUID=7e587e82-5242-4b85-add0-7cbed66b5b71 /media/rob auto rw,user,auto
0 >

I think really I would want to move my /home folder accross, but should I
Advice welcomed
RobH
I moved /home onto the 250Gb disk and all is ok now
Dan Purgert
2024-04-23 11:41:11 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by Big Al
Post by RobH
[...]
This is potentially bad, as /media/yourname/ tends to be used as the
parent directory for automounted drives (such as USB sticks).
Post by RobH
I think really I would want to move my /home folder accross, but should I
Advice welcomed
Easy enough, best done in a live session.

With the assumption that "/dev/sda5" is root ("/") of the main install:

1. mount both drives, say to /mnt/120 and /mnt/250
2. move (mv) /mnt/120/home/yourusername to /mnt/250/ (it'll be
"/mnt/250/yourusername" then)

(optional, though highly recommended -- get the UUID of the 250G
partition with lsblk -f)

3. edit /mnt/120/etc/fstab to mount the 250G drive to /home

UUID=12345 /home ext4 defaults 0 0 (if you got the partition UUID)
OR
/dev/sdb1 /home ext4 defaults 0 0

(NOTE -- if you want more than just the default options, you can
certainly add them; but "defaults" is shorter to type ;) )

4. reboot the system, and login. It should all look the same, with the
exception that 'df' will show that "/dev/sdb1" is mounted to "/home"
(and free space will be updated, etc.).

ALTERNATIVELY, you can mount it (nearly) anywhere else, and either have
a symlink in $HOME to that drive (e.g. $HOME/datadrive) or just save
things to "/mnt/datadrive/RobsDocs".
--
|_|O|_|
Nic
2024-04-22 20:42:05 UTC
Post by RobH
I want to add a 250Gb ssd to my existing 120gb ssd, so that I can move
all my data files from the 120gb disk to the 250gb disk.
I have added it to my /etc/fstab file , and is mounted without errors.
So can I now just move my existing folders on the 120gb disk to the
250gb disk, or is there a special or proper way to do this.
Thanks
This should be handled in the CMOS/BIOS. Connect the drive to the SATA
port, check the bios to assign boot sequence, then boot. Once booted use
GParted to format the drive.