gnucash problem - ledger dropdown menus don't open
Add Reply
Mike Scott
2024-05-01 10:17:15 UTC
Hi all. I always seem to be finding the oddball faults :-{

gnucash on my own PC works fine on one accounts file. Account selection
in the ledger's 'transfer' column shows a dropdown list of accounts (as
expected).

However in a second accounts file, clicking in the 'transfer' column
simply shows the existing entry (highlighted, with an 'up' button added).

(that's with v4.8)

However, on a second older system (???? 3.something gnucash), both files
work as expected (fortunately; I must remember not to upgrade!)

The 'failing' file was last edited with an older version)

If I create a fresh accounts file with a couple of dummy accounts,then
again, the dropdown account selection shows but one entry, the name of
the first-created top-level account.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour, or can offer any help please?
--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England
Paul
2024-05-01 11:10:06 UTC
Post by Mike Scott
Hi all. I always seem to be finding the oddball faults :-{
gnucash on my own PC works fine on one accounts file. Account selection in the ledger's 'transfer' column shows a dropdown list of accounts (as expected).
However in a second accounts file, clicking in the 'transfer' column simply shows the existing entry (highlighted, with an 'up' button added).
(that's with v4.8)
However, on a second older system (???? 3.something gnucash), both files work as expected (fortunately; I must remember not to upgrade!)
The 'failing' file was last edited with an older version)
If I create a fresh accounts file with a couple of dummy accounts,then again, the dropdown account selection shows but one entry, the name of the first-created top-level account.
Has anyone else seen this behaviour, or can offer any help please?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GnuCash

"Backwards compatibility issues

GnuCash maintains the ability to read older data files between major releases,
as long as major releases are not skipped.[19] If a user wishes to access
historical data saved in old GnuCash files, they must install intermediate
versions of GnuCash. For example, upgrading from 2.2 to 4.1 may not be possible;
the user should upgrade from 2.2.9 to 2.4.15, then to 2.6.21, then 3.11, then 4.1.

The other alternative is for users to export transactions files to a CSV format[20]
prior to upgrading GnuCash. Exporting of the account tree must be done as a
separate step."

Have you done something naughty ?

Paul
Mike Scott
2024-05-01 13:13:14 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Mike Scott
[...]
Thanks for the response, but that's not the issue.

The systems are running gnucash 3.8 and 4.8.

On the 4.8 system, I create a brand new test accounts file with a couple
of accounts, and try to create a transfer between. Failure - no
drop-down accounts list(*). But I save that file and.....

....open in 3.8, and all works as it should. I make some entries and
save and......

.....open in 4.8. I see the new entries, but still no drop-downs.

Annoyingly, only 4.8 seems available on the newer system (mint 21.2), or
I'd have tried downgrading.

(*) I have found though that the keenie can manually enter the account
name. Gets tedious though.
--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England