Mint 9.3 vpn
F Murtz
2020-04-30 07:27:47 UTC
It says both openvpn and purevpn is installed but I can not find either,
how to find?
Corvid
2020-04-30 07:45:19 UTC
Post by F Murtz
It says both openvpn and purevpn is installed but I can not find
either, how to find?
Does Synaptic say that?
If so, it will say under the Installed Files tab where the files are.
Paul
2020-04-30 08:32:21 UTC
Post by F Murtz
It says both openvpn and purevpn is installed but I can not find either,
how to find?
https://support.purevpn.com/openvpn-configuration-guide-for-linux-mint

sudo apt install network-manager-openvpn
sudo apt install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

That gives you two packages to look for in Synaptic. Since
you've already tried searching for "openvpn" in Synaptic,
you'd expect items like that to show up.

That article has a lot of other weirdness to do.

If there was some sort of "meta-package" in Synaptic,
sometimes those do a bit more of the work for you.
It's better to fiddle around in Synaptic and see
what packages or meta-packages are available, before
flailing about manually for no good reason.

And the article probably isn't for your 19.3 at a
guess, because they're using apt-get in the examples.

Finding a tutorial will usually give you enough
breadcrumbs to get started.

Even an article from Arch can be a tremendous help
when you're kicking off a new project.

Also, in times of doubt or despair, there is

sudo apt install locate <=== one or the other
sudo apt install mlocate

sudo updatedb

locate purevpn

And that will give you a ton of stuff to sort through
with grep and/or less.

That's if you thought it was installed, but you refused
to use Synaptic.

Paul
F Murtz
2020-04-30 09:55:51 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by F Murtz
[...]
Synaptic package manager says they are installed and give option to
reinstall.
dyrmak
2020-04-30 13:51:11 UTC
En 2 lignes F Murtz a écrit
Post by F Murtz
It says both openvpn and purevpn is installed but I can not find either,
how to find?
You mention Mint 9.3 vpn so I am not sure I understand what you
are talking about, I assume you mean Mint 19.3 vpn

If this is the case yes openvpn is present :

which openvpn
/usr/sbin/openvpn

and no purevpn is not present:
which purevpn

I do not know about purevpn, I have never heard about.

dyrmak
--
El barquito de río seco
++++ --- ++++
++++ --- ++++
F Murtz
2020-04-30 15:35:04 UTC
Post by dyrmak
En 2 lignes F Murtz a écrit
Post by F Murtz
It says both openvpn and purevpn is installed but I can not find either,
how to find?
You mention Mint 9.3 vpn so I am not sure I understand what you
are talking about, I assume you mean Mint 19.3 vpn
which openvpn
/usr/sbin/openvpn
which purevpn
I do not know about purevpn, I have never heard about.
d both vpns are suposed
dyrmak
Oops 19.3 I think cinnamon ? And both vpn,s are supposed to be
installed, but I can not find them and I want to be able to start one of
them.
Wildman
2020-04-30 16:12:01 UTC
Post by F Murtz
It says both openvpn and purevpn is installed but I can not find either,
how to find?
Neither of those programs have a gui so they have to be
started from the command line. Openvpn is in Debian's
repos and purevpn is not and I don't think it is in
Mint's repo either. Where did you get the info that
purevpn is already installed? You can get it here:

https://www.purevpn.com/download/linux-vpn#linux_distribution_ID

My SolydX9/Debian system shows:

~$ apt-cache policy openvpn
openvpn:
Installed: 2.4.0-6+deb9u3
Candidate: 2.4.0-6+deb9u3
Version table:
2.4.7-1~bpo9+1 100
100 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports/main amd64 Packages
*** 2.4.0-6+deb9u3 500
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2.4.0-6+deb9u1 500
500 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates/main amd64 Packages

~$ whereis openvpn
openvpn: /usr/sbin/openvpn

~$ apt-cache policy purevpn
N: Unable to locate package purevpn
--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!
F Murtz
2020-04-30 16:21:56 UTC
Post by Wildman
Post by F Murtz
[...]
I installed openvpn as I have an account with them but I can not find
how to start it or even find it.
Johnny
2020-04-30 16:28:12 UTC
On Fri, 1 May 2020 02:21:56 +1000
Post by F Murtz
Post by Wildman
Post by F Murtz
[...]
Right click on the connection icon in the panel. It has an option
there to add a VPN.
Mike Easter
2020-04-30 17:48:34 UTC
Post by F Murtz
I installed openvpn as I have an account with them but I can not find
how to start it or even find it.
There's some confusion here.

My experience is w/ protonvpn which handles things somewhat differently
than pure, but both use openvpn protocol/ tools/ processes. The
difference is that pure and proton are different vpn providers.

I looked at the pure site and they have a package, whereas proton
handles things w/ a .py python script and a ovpn file per server. Pure
also has instructions which don't involve the .deb file, but manual
configuration for pure.

In the case of proton, the registrant is advised to prepare the linux
distro with some openvpn files & resolvconf and the necessary .py
prerequisites for the proton .py script.

In the case of pure, you can dl the .deb for pure, or alternatively you
can do it manually. Pure has a page for describing that manual process
which is educational -- it has 3 different methods of which the 3rd is
openvpn and the other 2 are PPTP and SSTP.

https://support.purevpn.com/setup-guide-for-mint (open vpn is halfway
down the page - the process doesn't involve pure's .deb package)

In the case of proton, the .py script takes out/ accomplishes/ some of
the manual configuration steps.

The guides (both proton and pure) are useful because if things aren't
working or are confusing you are able to see what things are supposed to
look like when the vpn has been configured and established. Even w/ the
pure .deb, things aren't in a 'black box' but they are mostly handled by
the network manager integration.
Mike Easter
F Murtz
2020-05-01 01:27:55 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by F Murtz
[...]
is proton the open vpn? open was installed with mint, is it any good
Post by Mike Easter
The guides (both proton and pure) are useful because if things aren't
working or are confusing you are able to see what things are supposed to
look like when the vpn has been configured and established.  Even w/ the
pure .deb, things aren't in a 'black box' but they are mostly handled by
the network manager integration.
I was a bit muddled when I said I installed open, it was already there,
I installed pure as I have an account which is still good till 2002,I
will try the pure support page.
F Murtz
It hangs up on 4 sudo restart network-manager,says restart command not found
Paul
2020-05-01 06:54:30 UTC
Post by F Murtz
Post by F Murtz
Post by Mike Easter
The guides (both proton and pure) are useful because if things aren't
working or are confusing you are able to see what things are supposed
to look like when the vpn has been configured and established. Even
w/ the pure .deb, things aren't in a 'black box' but they are mostly
handled by the network manager integration.
I was a bit muddled when I said I installed open, it was already
there, I installed pure as I have an account which is still good till
2002,I will try the pure support page.
It hangs up on 4 sudo restart network-manager,says restart command not found
Well of course. They're probably intending a
form like this. The command keyword is missing.
The "service" command looks fairly close, except
the parameter order is different looking here.

sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service

sudo service network-manager restart

(Ideas from this hit in a search)

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-restart-network-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Paul
floffy
2024-04-10 02:42:05 UTC
You need a Diploma to use Linux etc ...
so command line and Complicate
Linux mint Look Cartoon display and have command no useful for Commun users, its build for Programmer.....
Post by Paul
Post by F Murtz
Paul
Edmund
2024-04-10 07:17:54 UTC
Post by floffy
You need a Diploma to use Linux etc ...
so command line and Complicate
Linux mint Look Cartoon display and have command no useful for Commun users, its build for Programmer.....
In some cases yes, in everyday stuff not so much.
If you have a problem , just describe it and you might get help to solve it.
I noticed a positive change in attitude from the linux community in this
regard.
--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund
Mike Easter
2020-05-01 15:35:42 UTC
Post by F Murtz
Post by F Murtz
Post by Mike Easter
The guides (both proton and pure) are useful because if things aren't
working or are confusing you are able to see what things are supposed
to look like when the vpn has been configured and established.  Even
w/ the pure .deb, things aren't in a 'black box' but they are mostly
handled by the network manager integration.
I was a bit muddled when I said I installed open, it was already
there, I installed pure as I have an account which is still good till
2002,I will try the pure support page.
It hangs up on 4 sudo restart network-manager,says restart command not found
I have a hard time 'fixing' things that are broken or slightly broken;
it is generally easier for me to start from scratch w/ something that
isn't broken and get reassurance when I can make it work.

IMO, if I had the trouble you've had so far, I would start from scratch
w/ a live system and set it up and make it work. That is actually
quicker than you think. I've looked over a number of linux pages at
purevpn and there is a little confusion there because they have so much
for so many different linux distros and so many -3- different ways of
accessing their service.

Currently my preference would be the command line approach to a live
Mint 19.3 Cinnamon via openvpn. (As opposed to their .deb package for
openvpn.) I know you can do it w/ that system because I just did it at
protonvpn on a Debian Mint 4 Cinnamon live.

I had 'sorted through' many pages at purevpn to provide here a sequence
to do a command line configuration for purevpn via openvpn, but I ran
into some snags, besides the 'confusion' at purevpn.

An important snag is that there are old and new packages of ovpn files
for the pure servers; BUT the new packages don't contain the cert and
the key that the old packages contain as separate files in each UDP &
TCP directory. I don't understand that, because the linux instructions
require copying the key and the cert to put into your openvpn directory.

I'm beginning to think that old-type ovpn files didn't contain the key
and cert whereas new-type ovpn files do contain the key and cert where a
separate key under the old system is named Wdc.key and the cert under
the old system is named ca.crt. But, I don't know enough about this.
The old ovpn files at pure are dated 2018 Aug, whereas the new ones are
2020 Apr.
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2020-05-01 17:08:41 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
I'm beginning to think that old-type ovpn files didn't contain the key
and cert whereas new-type ovpn files do contain the key and cert
I'm convinced that the purevpn ovpn files have embedded key and cert
whereas the old purevpn ovpn files had separate Wdc.key and ca.crt in
each UDP & TCP directory.

The old ovpn are sized about 500 bytes whereas the new ovpn are sized
about 5 kb. If I look into an example new ovpn, I can see the embedded
cert and key contained.

So, now that that confusion is over for me, I can resume 'structuring'
the purevpn openvpn instructions by omitting any instructions for
copying the key and cert from the decompressed new .zip file to the
openvpn user dir, because there isn't any such thing in the new .zip.

The old way was slightly more 'efficient' in that there are many
different ovpn files, so there is great repetition of those embedded
key/cert bits, but, it isn't all that many bits to be repeating scores
of times.
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2020-05-01 19:57:36 UTC
Post by F Murtz
It hangs up on 4 sudo restart network-manager,says restart command not found
That is a 'classic' example of how 'backward' purevpn's linux help pages
are. That isn't how we restart network-manager these days.

We use systemd's systemctl these days:

$ sudo systemctl restart networking

I've been working on 'integrating' how I setup protonvpn w/ the
instruction pages at purevpn so as to correct the errors (I guess you
would say errors if the info is wrong) on the pages.

As well as I can tell, the basis for their wrong info is from using old
info that hasn't been properly updated.

But one of the steps in my protonvpn setup is using a .py script, and
I'm not sure I know the exact details of how to do it completely
manually w/o using that script.
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2020-05-01 20:19:55 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
I've been working on 'integrating' how I setup protonvpn w/ the
instruction pages at purevpn so as to correct the errors (I guess you
would say errors if the info is wrong) on the pages.
This cyberghost page is more useful for manually setting up than the
purevpn pages because it is more uptodate. Of course one has to modify
when it is doing cyberghost things, but much of what is on this page is
useful:

https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/hc/en-us/articles/213651505-How-to-Set-Up-OpenVPN-on-Linux-Mint-via-Network-Manager
How to Set Up OpenVPN on Linux Mint via Network Manager

For example it has the correct command for restarting networking via
systemctl and it also has a good graphic for finding the nm menu item
for importing an ovpn file.

However, the chberghost info about the cert and key files is 'incorrect'
based on cyberghost's old-type ovpn (purevpn's old type) files instead
of the purevpn new-type w/ embedded key/cert.
Mike Easter
Wildman
2020-04-30 23:37:53 UTC
Post by F Murtz
Post by Wildman
Post by F Murtz
[...]
Have you tried "whereis openvpn"?
Have you tried "man openvpn"?
Mike Easter
2020-05-01 00:03:47 UTC
Post by Wildman
Have you tried "whereis openvpn"?
Have you tried "man openvpn"?
I have a LMDE which has several openvpn packages installed incl openvpn.
It doesn't show in the menu nor do much all by itself, but if exec
from command it will show its v. and an extensive help and has a
standalone show gateway function.

Its purpose as configured in my system is to integrate w/ the network
manager and ovpn file for a server and credentials.

Mine works (as a vpn) when setup w/ protonvpn server & cred/s. I can
turn the vpn function on and off graphically using the nm. There is no
other front end needed after everything is established and configured.
I can also/ alternatively/ start it from command protonvpn c and
disconnect w/ protonvpn d. There are a number of other protonvpn
commands available.

I think that if everything is setup correctly, the OP's purevpn package
provides some add'l front end functions than mine which was setup w/ .py
scripts. Or, if he chose to setup purevpn w/o the purevpn.deb package
he would do everything w/ the nm or commands.

And of course whereis and man perform for openvpn as expected.
--
Mike Easter