Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?
Add Reply
Nic
2024-04-16 22:16:05 UTC
Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
across distributed devices.

Node.js is bundled with several useful libraries to handle server tasks:

System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff
stepore
Concerned about what? Ask a better question.
Nic
2024-04-17 11:27:10 UTC
Post by stepore
Post by Nic
Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
across distributed devices.
System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
Concerned about what? Ask a better question.
My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
Dan Purgert
2024-04-17 13:11:12 UTC
Post by Nic
Post by stepore
Post by Nic
Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
across distributed devices.
System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
Concerned about what? Ask a better question.
My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
You obviously do (or did), since node is not a default-installed package
in LM.
--
|_|O|_|
Nic
2024-04-17 14:44:41 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by Nic
Post by stepore
Post by Nic
Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
across distributed devices.
System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
Concerned about what? Ask a better question.
My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
You obviously do (or did), since node is not a default-installed package
in LM.
Thank you I will update.. Is there a list of default installed software
for LM 20.3?
Dan Purgert
2024-04-17 18:16:02 UTC
Post by Nic
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by Nic
Post by stepore
Post by Nic
[...]
/var/log/installer/initial-status.gz should have that list.
Nic
I have up to /logĀ  no /installer
stepore
2024-04-18 01:46:26 UTC
Post by Nic
My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
Patch (update) _everything!_ you have installed.
If you don't need software; remove it! No sense having things installed
you don't use.
Minimize attack vectors.

Node.js is used for javascript development. If you're not a javascript
developer, not sure why it's installed.
Nic
2024-04-18 09:03:16 UTC
Post by stepore
Post by Nic
My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
Patch (update) _everything!_ you have installed.
If you don't need software; remove it! No sense having things
installed you don't use.
Minimize attack vectors.
Node.js is used for javascript development. If you're not a javascript
developer, not sure why it's installed.
That was my thinking originally. I updated. With each update I cringe
and wonder if it will be this or that update that will break something I
really need and use.