Printing CDs with Canon printer under Mint 18.1
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2017-04-05 07:43:36 UTC

Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer, I currently have to use an old Window PC,
with a Canon program (Easy-PhotoPrint EX). This program installs and
opens also under Wine 2.4, but doesn't find any printers, even though
Wine's Notepad sees the printer and all its options.

Is there a way to use e.g. LibreOffice Draw to print CD's? I have no
idea how to set the paper or the circular image on it. Should it be
in some corner, or the middle or ??

Or another way to print CDs/DVDs with Canon in Mint?

Mat Nieuwenhoven
Tarzan©
2017-04-05 10:49:07 UTC
On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 09:43:36 +0200, Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

You could install Windows on Mint with Virtual Box.
--
Linux Mint is not just for the eggheads, I am proof of that.
Registered Linux user 547626
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2017-04-05 14:41:36 UTC
Post by Tarzan©
You could install Windows on Mint with Virtual Box.
Yes, but I am trying to avoid Windows. Wine is acceptable, a pure
Linux program would be best.

Mat Nieuwenhoven
Vic RR Garcia
2017-04-05 16:49:44 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Hi,
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer, I currently have to use an old Window PC,
with a Canon program (Easy-PhotoPrint EX). This program installs and
opens also under Wine 2.4, but doesn't find any printers, even though
Wine's Notepad sees the printer and all its options.
Is there a way to use e.g. LibreOffice Draw to print CD's? I have no
idea how to set the paper or the circular image on it. Should it be
in some corner, or the middle or ??
Or another way to print CDs/DVDs with Canon in Mint?
Mat Nieuwenhoven
There are several templates for Draw, Writer, GIMP and so on.
Also standalone programs that let you superimpose a picture or text on
their own templates.
Depends on your skill level and what exactly you want to do.
A Google search is pretty fast, use it.
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2017-04-06 06:48:35 UTC
Post by Vic RR Garcia
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Hi,
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer, I currently have to use an old Window PC,
with a Canon program (Easy-PhotoPrint EX). This program installs and
opens also under Wine 2.4, but doesn't find any printers, even though
Wine's Notepad sees the printer and all its options.
Is there a way to use e.g. LibreOffice Draw to print CD's? I have no
idea how to set the paper or the circular image on it. Should it be
in some corner, or the middle or ??
Or another way to print CDs/DVDs with Canon in Mint?
Mat Nieuwenhoven
There are several templates for Draw, Writer, GIMP and so on.
Also standalone programs that let you superimpose a picture or text on
their own templates.
Depends on your skill level and what exactly you want to do.
A Google search is pretty fast, use it.
Maybe I wasn't clear, I want to print direct on CD, not CD lables.
By far most Google searches turn up CD labels, not direct CD print.
-LibreOffice only has an official template for non-direct CD
printing.
-OpenOffice: I found a 2008 OpenOffice template for direct CD
printing on canon
(http://www.penguintutor.com/blog/viewpost.php?id=wp507), I'll try
that.
- Gimp: Only one reference to a direct-to-CD print, and non-working
at that:
https://sourceforge.net/p/gimp-print/mailman/message/30101173/

If the OO template doesn't work, I'll follow the suggestions of
another poster to create an A4 with an identifiable pattern on it
(numbered lines), and "print" to an old non-printble CD, then I can
wipe off the ink and try again.

Mat Nieuwenhoven
Vic RR Garcia
2017-04-06 15:12:45 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Post by Vic RR Garcia
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Hi,
[...]
Sorry, direct printing is not that easy, I have not found a Linux
application for that.
I use 'CD-LabelPrint for Windows', maybe it works on WINE.

Big Al suggestion (print a patter) looks like it will work.
Big Al
2017-04-05 18:20:31 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Hi,
Is there a way to use e.g. LibreOffice Draw to print CD's? I have no
idea how to set the paper or the circular image on it. Should it be
in some corner, or the middle or ??
Or another way to print CDs/DVDs with Canon in Mint?
Mat Nieuwenhoven
Build a full page document in Draw or Writer or whatever and put lines
every inch or so vertical and horizontal plus text showing measurments
to know where things are.
Then print the document to your CD and waste one. But now you'll see
where to put text on a full size page to make the CD print right, at
least if you put enough info on the test page.

I did this for PowerPoint once to print cd paper sleeves. Done it in
Word etc for all sorts of projects.
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2017-04-06 06:50:10 UTC
Post by Big Al
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Hi,
Is there a way to use e.g. LibreOffice Draw to print CD's? I have no
idea how to set the paper or the circular image on it. Should it be
in some corner, or the middle or ??
Or another way to print CDs/DVDs with Canon in Mint?
Mat Nieuwenhoven
Build a full page document in Draw or Writer or whatever and put lines
every inch or so vertical and horizontal plus text showing measurments
to know where things are.
Then print the document to your CD and waste one. But now you'll see
where to put text on a full size page to make the CD print right, at
least if you put enough info on the test page.
I did this for PowerPoint once to print cd paper sleeves. Done it in
Word etc for all sorts of projects.
Thanks for the suggestion, if all else fails I'll try that. Except
I'll test on non-printable CDs, so I can wipe off the ink and try
again.

Mat Nieuwenhoven
Mike Easter
2017-04-05 21:39:02 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer, I currently have to use an old Window PC,
with a Canon program (Easy-PhotoPrint EX).
Are you wanting to print disk labels or print directly onto the disk?

If labels, are you also wanting to print label/inserts for optical
jewelboxes?

glabels is in your Mint repo/s. You might want to install that and see
all of those Avery labels including opticals. There are also YouTube
vids for using glabel.
Mike Easter
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2017-04-06 06:38:41 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer, I currently have to use an old Window PC,
with a Canon program (Easy-PhotoPrint EX).
Are you wanting to print disk labels or print directly onto the disk?
Direct CD print. glabel doesn't seem suitable for direct-to-CD print,
although I have not extensively tested it.
Mat Nieuwenhoven
Dan Purgert
2017-04-06 10:49:34 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer, I currently have to use an old Window PC,
with a Canon program (Easy-PhotoPrint EX).
Are you wanting to print disk labels or print directly onto the disk?
Direct CD print. glabel doesn't seem suitable for direct-to-CD print,
although I have not extensively tested it.
Thing is, a "sticker label" has the same margins as "print directly to
the face of teh disk" (at least it did 15 years ago when I was doing
that).
--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
Mike Easter
2017-04-06 15:37:57 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer,
Are you wanting to print disk labels or print directly onto the disk?
Direct CD print.
What is the Canon network printer modelno?
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2017-04-06 16:43:15 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a
network connected Canon printer,
Are you wanting to print disk labels or print directly onto the disk?
Direct CD print.
What is the Canon network printer modelno?
I found some Canon Pixmas that were network and print on opticals such
as MX922.

If I were doing that, I would do it with windows. It is an infrequent
job; in my network I have more than one computer which can boot into
windows including live, so if I wanted to print directly onto an optical
I would do it like that.

I don't think Wine is going to work out for the Pixma software.

If the optical-able printer were HP, chances of doing it with linux
would be better because of HPLIP.
Mike Easter
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2017-04-06 14:57:26 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a
network connected Canon printer,
Are you wanting to print disk labels or print directly onto the disk?
Direct CD print.
What is the Canon network printer modelno?
I found some Canon Pixmas that were network and print on opticals such
as MX922.
If I were doing that, I would do it with windows. It is an infrequent
job; in my network I have more than one computer which can boot into
windows including live, so if I wanted to print directly onto an optical
I would do it like that.
I don't think Wine is going to work out for the Pixma software.
If the optical-able printer were HP, chances of doing it with linux
would be better because of HPLIP.
It's a Pixma MG7550 previously I've used an IP4000 to print CDs/DVDs.
It works very nice if you have good media for printing. I don't think
it's a driver problem, I use the Canon Linux drivers.
The Canon software installs on Wine, and appears to run (you can
create a disk image, and set
internal/external limits (I use 32/118 mm). But it doesn't find the
printer. When started from a terminal, I see some errors. If I find
the time, I'll report them to Wine.

For now, I'm going to try with a modified OpenOffice Draw template,
basically a custom page of 130x130mm, with dead center a circle from
118 mm and one from 32 mm. We'll see.

Mat Nieuwenhoven
Mike Easter
2017-04-06 17:16:37 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
It's a Pixma MG7550 previously I've used an IP4000 to print
CDs/DVDs. It works very nice if you have good media for printing. I
don't think it's a driver problem, I use the Canon Linux drivers. The
Canon software installs on Wine, and appears to run (you can create a
disk image, and set internal/external limits (I use 32/118 mm). But
it doesn't find the printer. When started from a terminal, I see some
errors. If I find the time, I'll report them to Wine.
For now, I'm going to try with a modified OpenOffice Draw template,
basically a custom page of 130x130mm, with dead center a circle from
118 mm and one from 32 mm. We'll see.
With HPLIP, the media is CD/DVD and the printer is CD/DVD tray.
Mike Easter
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2017-04-07 03:45:56 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
It's a Pixma MG7550 previously I've used an IP4000 to print
CDs/DVDs. It works very nice if you have good media for printing. I
don't think it's a driver problem, I use the Canon Linux drivers. The
Canon software installs on Wine, and appears to run (you can create a
disk image, and set internal/external limits (I use 32/118 mm). But
it doesn't find the printer. When started from a terminal, I see some
errors. If I find the time, I'll report them to Wine.
For now, I'm going to try with a modified OpenOffice Draw template,
basically a custom page of 130x130mm, with dead center a circle from
118 mm and one from 32 mm. We'll see.
With HPLIP, the media is CD/DVD and the printer is CD/DVD tray.
Similar with Canon, you select a "paper" (5 inch CD in this case),
and a paper source (CD tray). Unfortunately LibreOffice/OpenOffice
don't have the option to adapt the shown page format to that choosen
from the printer menu.

Mat Nieuwenhoven
dave
2017-04-06 13:47:25 UTC
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Hi,
Normally using Mint 18.1 XFCE, for printing CDs/DVDs on a network
connected Canon printer, I currently have to use an old Window PC, with
a Canon program (Easy-PhotoPrint EX). This program installs and opens
also under Wine 2.4, but doesn't find any printers, even though Wine's
Notepad sees the printer and all its options.
Is there a way to use e.g. LibreOffice Draw to print CD's? I have no
idea how to set the paper or the circular image on it. Should it be in
some corner, or the middle or ??
Or another way to print CDs/DVDs with Canon in Mint?
Mat Nieuwenhoven
Your best bet would be to use Scribus. You would have to design your own
logo and there is a steep learning curve, however, I just googled text on
a curve in Scribus and it can be done.
I assume you are printing direct to the cd, avoid labels, I've had
problems with them, better off using marker pen.
The upside is once you have learned Scribus you will no doubt find other
uses for it, it's a very good program and is cross platform and of course
free.
Look at this link:
http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2008-January/037935.html
dave
Sorry, that link seems to be for cover.
Big Al
2017-04-07 19:53:27 UTC
Post by dave
I assume you are printing direct to the cd, avoid labels, I've had
problems with them, better off using marker pen.
I started printing of Avery labels and then read an article that
explained you were sticking the label to the side of the cd that was the
recording media. The label could shrink with humidity and temp
changes and pull on the recording media surface and destroy your data.

Not that I took this to be God awful truth, but it sounded good and at
that time blank printable CD/DVDs were getting cheap. And it sounded
better to do it that way. Besides I had a few labels that kinda struck
the inside of one of my readers (car or PC) and caused playback issues.

All in all it was simpler.